Sunday, June 21, 2009

Oatmeal and Rice....

The other night I was lying in bed, thinking about how the brown rice I had for dinner did not taste as good as usual. Then I realized that I had bought the “instant” version. I reminded myself that I don’t like instant oatmeal either. I prefer the chewiness of original brown rice and old fashion oatmeal, and I think they have a better flavor too. In my opinion, the quick cook types are mushy and watered- down. They do take longer to make, but to me, the results are worth it. I think these late night random thoughts are God’s way of trying to remind to not be in such a hurry all the time, always looking towards the future and expecting immediate results any time I make even the slightest change in my behavior. Next week I am finally transferring to a new position at work; one that I have wanted for a long time; one that finally feels right. I have had many interviews within my company in the two years since my supervisor job was eliminated, but none of them worked out, some for no apparent reason. Sometimes I think God puts roadblocks in place to keep us from jumping ahead and making the mistake of doing something out of his timing. For the past year and a half I have been feverishly trying to finish my Associates of Arts degree (that I started 25 years ago). I was looking forward to taking my final class this summer, but the class did not make due to not enough people signed up. I have also been struggling with whether I should spend the time a money transferring to UTD to complete my bachelor’s degree. Again, I think these circumstances were put in place by God, who knows so much more what I need, than what I think I desire. Now I will have a couple of months free to focus on learning a new job and be able to come home and relax instead of going to class or doing homework. It also allows me to spend some much-needed time with my husband, who also has a lighter schedule for a few months, due the training program he is in. I’m sure I will still be acclimating to my new job in the fall, since it is a big change, so taking only one class, at a normal pace will be a nice change. This schedule will also give me a few more months to work on our finances and decide if I should continue with school or not. It has been nice break form school, the last few weeks, but in reality I am bored. I have realized how accustomed I have become to filling every minute with activity, leaving little time for God or relationships with friends and family. I am slowing learning to slow down and enjoy life; the old- fashioned, original version that God had planned for me, not my “instant – I want change now” way of life. I am learning to enjoy the journey, or the “climb” as it is put in the Miley Cyrus song, learning what God wants to teach me along the way and to trust where he is leading me, not demanding to know what the future holds, or trying to create it myself.

No comments: